Friday, July 08, 2005

Surgery

So I have not written about this in my blog yet because I didn't want to dwell on it. But now that the hardest part is over with, I think I'll talk.

I came home after a modified neck dissection surgery. I had cancer in my thyroid at nineteen and now at twenty-five is reared it's ugly head again.

Tuesday I passed the peeing-in-the-cup-test, the not-passing-out-while-drawing-blood test, and the standing-up-straight-for-the-x-ray test. I'm an A student apparently.

They gave me drug this morning that is usually for insomnia...to help make me sleepy. Subsequently, Dr. Bridges, the anasthesiologist, was histerical...or I was just already doped up. Dr. Mazer scolded me for my sunburnt shoulders and I proceeded to tell him about my photo shoot with Keith, Shanon's dad, at Balboa Park...

That was the last thing I remembered before waking up in my private room, thanks to the Hammonds who knew the President of the hospital, and there was all my family...it's good to be loved. I vaguely remembered that Dr. Mazer had asked me to shrug my left shoulder, which I had been able to do.

The surgery was a huge success, he didn't have to mess with any muscle, artery, bone, or nerve that would have caused permanent damage. There was reason to believe that would have been the case. It's amazing what a little faith and prayer can do, God is good.

I've been heeling up quickly. I came home the very next day, they took out the drain at the same time and the only thing is major uncomfortableness in the whole neck area. Everyday is better though, I can't wait to get the stiches out.

I also can't wait to get back to my usual life. Soon hopefully.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Jenn, glad everything went off without a hitch, I was prayin for you. I'm a bit relieved, I can't say why, call it the fear of the unknown, just didn't know much about possibilities of things happening, but I'm glad it all went good.

8:18 AM, July 10, 2005  
Blogger Shanon said...

i love you jenny benny...

8:28 PM, July 10, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home