Friday, November 04, 2005

Semper Fidelis


Frank and I went to go see Jarhead today. I think I get my enjoyment of war films from Dad. I saw Saving Private Ryan twice on opening weekend. I also may be partial to this genre because of my para-military upbringing. Martial Arts can have that effect on you. I think I'm in love with the idea of fighting for something greater than the individual. However, todays wars seem to lose that sense of ideology.
Back to the film. The most impressive thing about it was the cinematography. The look. If you check out the images on the website you'll notice that a 1000 words don't do them justice. Picturesque doesn't begin to describe. Secondly the acting was amazing. Jake Gyllenhaal once again proved to me to be more than just currently poplular. And Jamie Fox continues to impress me with his talent.
On the drive back home Frank and I decided that this was a very draining movie. Not like some that leave you on a kind of downer, but it leaves you with no conclusion, no solution. The problem remains, in a foriegn dessert, where American jarheads are filled with alien sand. Oo-rah.

I think I will go and buy the book tomorrow.

Most memorable quote: “Sir, I got lost on the way to college, sir!”

2 Comments:

Blogger Shanon said...

sounds about right....that's how I explain the HA...."Sir, I got lost on the way to college, sir!"

4:00 PM, November 07, 2005  
Blogger Johnny said...

how'd I miss this post? I really anticipated good things for this movie and sounds like I'm right... I have to see it before it leaves the theater...

3:12 PM, November 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home