Monday, December 05, 2005

S/D Tournament #4

I PLACED!

Let me tell you the story:

Debate was interesting.

Still haven't broken into finals yet. Hopefully next semester. I don't think my partner and I are communicating well and that doesn't help you win rounds. But Sherris just told me she heard good things about my performance from some of the teams that we hit this weekend. That's encouraging.

Friday was 4 debate rounds. I know we won the first round because the judge disclosed to us. We debated both sides of the resolution "The USFG should repeal the No Child Left Behind Act", one side in each of the first two rounds. I tried to run a go Veg plan on the resolution "Go Green", but didn't do too well since I've never run that possition before. And the last resolution of the day was "This house should clean house".

Saturday was debate and pattern A (there are two patterns, A and B, basically just a grouping of events) which meant for me impromptu speaking (you are given 3 quotes and 7 minutes to write and give a speech affirming or negating 1 of the quotes). I went jogging with Frank at 5:30am. Then onto the tournament. We debated "Globalization does more harm than good" and "The Freedom of the Press does more harm than good". Both were interesting rounds.

Apparently I did well in Impromtu. I broke to finals. My quotes?

~"I interpret but do not create" Confucius

~"Action is the only true test of ability" Anonymous

~"A cage bird longs for the clouds" Japanese proverb

~"Good teaching is one-fourth preparation and three-fourths theatre" Gail Godwin

Sunday I woke up with no voice. Dewy had to drop me from events. It was pattern B which meant I didn't get to do my prose or extemporaneaous speaking (which I had made into finals the previous tournament). So I spent that day watching everyone else compete.

And then...the awards ceremony...

The first award was Novice Impromtu, that was me. All the finalists gathered on stage. By this time I was really not feeling well. (You try being sick on the third 12 hour day of competition!) I was exspecting a finalist award, but they kept calling out other schools and other names. Before I knew it I was one of three competitors left. At this point I got nervious thinking this wasn't my event and I would be left standing on the stage after everyone else's name had been called. I even confirmed the event they were awarding with one of my opponents just to be sure. Suddenly I was one of two left on stage. All I heard was "Second place for Impromptu speaking from Palomar. . .", literally, I didn't even hear him say my name. But I had won second place! It took me until this morning to no longer be in shock about it. I didn't think I had done that well. But apparently the judges did!! Go team me, and all my teaching training, and Ben debating with me, and years on stage, and whatever else in my life that prepared me for this activity!

4 Comments:

Blogger Shanon said...

you're welcome! :)

8:59 PM, December 05, 2005  
Blogger mel said...

yay for you! *prance*

5:45 PM, December 06, 2005  
Blogger shanellephant said...

wow. good job. thats fantastic.

9:12 PM, December 06, 2005  
Blogger Johnny said...

Awesome job. Simply awesome. Congratulations on placing! haha, funny how you didn't hear it, maybe cause you weren't expecting it, eh? heh, nice. I can't imagine the butterflies go away, even though you've done it many times, have they? Sometimes I think half the fun of something is the rush you get from nervousness.

11:06 AM, December 07, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home